Friday, May 15, 2026

Federal Government Bans Payment for Electricity Meters

2 mins read

The Federal Government has banned electricity distribution companies and installers from collecting any payment for free electricity meters. Power Minister Adebayo Adelabu made this clear during an on-site inspection of newly imported smart meters at APM Terminals in Apapa, Lagos. He warned that anyone who demands money will face prosecution.

Adelabu explained that the government procured these meters under the World Bank–funded Distribution Sector Recovery Programme (DISREP). Therefore, they must go to consumers at no cost. “It is free of charge—free of charge!” he repeated. “Nobody should collect money from any consumer. It is an illegality. It is an offence.”

He welcomed the arrival of another 500,000 smart meters. This shipment brings Nigeria closer to closing its massive meter gap. So far, teams have already installed nearly 150,000 meters across the country. The government plans to deploy 3.4 million meters in two phases. The first batch includes 1.43 million units, and almost one million have already arrived.

According to Adelabu, these free electricity meters will reach every customer—regardless of whether they fall under Band A, B, or C. “We are not discriminating,” he said. “Every Nigerian, every business, and every institution will get a meter.” He added that fair and transparent billing will encourage timely payments and boost liquidity in the power sector.

Moreover, the minister stressed that this initiative goes beyond promises. “This is walking the talk,” he said. “It’s unprecedented in Nigeria’s history.” He assured citizens that the government is serious about transforming the power sector—and that actions now back up words.

To enforce compliance, the government will actively monitor installations. It will also open a customer complaint desk so people can report extortion. Adelabu urged Nigerians to report any DisCo official or installer asking for money. “We will track it. We will follow up. And we will prosecute—no matter how high the offender is,” he warned.

In addition, the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) and state regulators will oversee the rollout. The Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE), which coordinates DISREP, sits on the boards of all 11 DisCos. BPE Director-General Ayo Gbeleyi said NERC will soon issue a new circular. This directive will require DisCos to follow clear protocols for meter installation and prevent delays.

Gbeleyi also revealed that technicians customize each meter for a specific DisCo. For example, a meter meant for Eko DisCo will not work in Ibadan. This anti-theft feature ensures proper tracking and accountability.

Mojisola Abdul, Chairman of Mojec, backed the minister’s message. She confirmed that teams have already installed 150,000 meters for free. “Don’t give anybody money. You are not allowed,” she said. She also announced a “mobile registration” system: once you register, your meter arrives within three days.

Addressing past frustrations, Adelabu acknowledged public skepticism. Many Nigerians paid for meters before but never received them. However, he insisted this programme is different. “We now have enough meters,” he said. “And they are truly free.” He added that a recent three-hour meeting resolved most logistical bottlenecks.

Finally, the minister visited the National Meter Test Station in Oshodi. There, the Nigerian Electricity Management Services Agency tests every meter for quality. This step guarantees reliability and accuracy. Currently, over five million customers still suffer under estimated billing—a problem the government aims to eliminate through this rollout.

With strong oversight, public reporting channels, and mass deployment underway, the era of free electricity meters has officially begun. And anyone who tries to profit from it will face the full weight of the law.

READ: IMF Projects Nigeria’s Economy to Grow 4.4% in 2026

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

The Fox Theme

Don't Miss

Nigeria Presidency Obasanjo Remarks Spark Strong Rebuttal

Nigeria Presidency Obasanjo Remarks Spark Strong Rebuttal

Nigeria Presidency Obasanjo Remarks have drawn a sharp reaction from the government